Thursday, May 31, 2007

EZ Shorties

I finished another pair of shorties for T Tuesday night while watching the Pistons (and dang it, they lost again!). I may have to forego knitting while watching tonight's game or I'll probably forget what I'm doing and have to frog it. Anyway . . . this brings the count to three new pairs of summer woolies.



Pattern: Baby Leggings from Knitter's Almanac (Gotta love EZ!)
Yarn: Patons Classic Merino in camel
Needles: US size 5 circs
Gauge: Between 5 and 5 1/5 stitches per inch
Unstretched measurements: 16" waist, 21" hip (widest part, at last increase), 20" rise. It fits my 14-month-old son perfectly (but with not a whole lot of room to grow, so it would probably fit a younger baby as well).
Mods: Increased the number of stitches set aside for the crotch to 14 front and back; 5 stitches just doesn't seem like enough for an active toddler. Also did just 7 rows of ribbing after dividing for the legs to make shorties instead of longies.

The rise is indeed long, as I've read elsewhere, but I decided to just knit the pattern as written (with the exception of the mods mentioned above) the first time just to see how it turns out. It's really not that long after blocking, and since I used merino, I know it'll shorten some with the felting from regular wear anyway, so I'll probably be thankful for the extra length down the road.

This was a fun and easy pattern, and it turned out really cute. So far I give it a thumbs up, but T hasn't worn it yet. I'm interested to see how it fits and behaves on a babe in action.

Next up: Ottobre in bulky wool (probably for overnight), perhaps a pair of Ladybugz shorties in merino (I had the sudden urge to try something crocheted and bought the pattern last night--we'll see how that goes), and maybe another pair of EZ shorties in merino if I like how this pair fits. I'd also love to do another Curly Purly soaker, and the Tickle Turdle Wrap caught my eye last night. So . . . I have some decisions to make.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jofrog said...

Very nice! I've been making a lot of soakers lately too, but all from the same (super simple) pattern. I like to keep the soakers mindless and save the thinking knitting for other times, but I love all of the ones you are doing. I may have to look into other patterns now! Thanks for all of the links.

3:54 PM  
Blogger kat said...

wow the babe is going to have quite a woredrobe

8:48 AM  
Blogger YarnThing said...

Great soakers!!!! I only recently learned what a soaker was can you believe that? Anyway, thought I would drop you aline

Marly
knitthing.blogspot.com
knitthing.mypodcast.com
yarnthing.blogspot.com

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home