Friday, March 16, 2007

Tough Decisions



I've finished the body and sleeves on T's birthday sweater and am all ready to join the pieces and start knitting the yoke. But . . . (are you sitting down?) I've decided to rip back and reknit the body. I don't like how much the edge is curling. A fellow member of Zimmermania pointed out that you can do a single purl row a little ways up from the edge, and that will stop the roll. I tried that on the sleeves (see photo below--sorry it's a bit fuzzy), and I like the effect. I purled on the fifth row. I think on future projects, I'll put the purl row quite a bit further in, but the tiny roll doesn't bother me enough on this sweater to rip and reknit both the body and the sleeves.



Also, I've decided to keep on knitting without buying any more yarn unless I know I'm going to need it. I think that if I'm careful and place the stripes on the yoke strategically, I might be okay. Ripping and reknitting the body to reduce the roll will give me some extra yarn for the yoke too. (Fingers crossed.)

Now I just have to decide if I want to make this a yoke sweater or a raglan sweater. I'm thinking raglan would probably take less yarn. Yes? No? Anyone?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sweater! Too bad you're going to rip. Isn't there some sort of backing you could sew to the back of the hem to make it stay put without adding too much bulk?

Your little boy is adorable!

What kind of yarn are you using? It looks like Baby Ull, but I can't read the lable.

I want to knit a little ez sweater out of Baby Ull, but I'm not sure how much I'll need. So, what are you using, what size sweater/needles, etc.,

3:05 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Jennifer, Thanks for the kind words. It's ripped already, so no turning back now. :-)

I'm using TLC Cotton Plus and size 7 circs. The sweater has 24" chest, and the sleeves and body are both 8" long measured from the armpit.

I have 3 1/2 oz. of red and 3 1/2 oz. of navy, and I'm just crossing my fingers that I'll have enough. We'll see . . .

Kelley

3:15 PM  
Blogger Erin Joy said...

Kelley, I really like the navy and red color combo. It will look very boyish when done. How do you like the TLC Cotton Plus? I've seen it, fingered it, but never knit with it. I bet it will make a nice summer weight sweater for cool evenings in MI. :)

Erin

6:16 AM  
Blogger kat said...

i'm having the same problem witha sweater i'm knitting & its ven got a little garter stitch edge so I've decided that after its done I'll sew some ribbon along the inside edge to keep it from rolling.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Erin, I'm fairly happy with the TLC Cotton Plus. I really like how the finished fabric feels. It's nice and soft, and it has a great deal more stretch to it than 100% cotton does. The yarn is pretty splitty though, so I have to really pay attention to what I'm doing or I can easily drop a single ply. Also, it's kind of weird--the navy has a flat finish, but the red has sort of a weird shine to it and is almost multitonal (if that's a word--a mix of different shades of red plied together). I much prefer the look of the navy. I bought this yarn online, so I couldn't tell that beforehand. If I'd seen it in the store, I might have chosen colors differently. We'll see how it wears. I've heard rave reviews about Cottonease, and I've purchased some of that too, so it will be interesting to see how it compares.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home