Tuesday, March 20, 2007

And Now for Something Completely Different



After the great sweater debacle, I needed to knit something mind-numblingly simple. Baby washcloths to the rescue! T is a super- messy eater, so we keep a little stack of cloths on the kitchen table. He needed a few more, so I whipped these up on Sunday.

Pattern: Grandmother's Favorite dishcloth (but increased to only 36 stitches before starting the decreases )
Needles: US size 9
Yarn: Bernat Cotton Tots
Finished dimensions: 7" x 7"; Cotton Tots is sort of finicky in the wash. It tends to shrink quite a bit if not handled delicately (per the manufacturer's washing instructions). However, I just throw these cloths in with a hot or warm load--whatever's convenient--and run them through the dryer with the rest of the laundry (they are only washcloths after all). After repeated laundering, they end up being more like 6" x 6", but they return to their original size after they get wet again. So it's all good!

Just a quick sweater update (I'm sure you're probably as sick of reading about this sweater as I am of writing about it): Yesterday morning I frogged the entire thing, sleeves and all, and started redoing it with ribbing instead of a rolled edge. I really wanted a rolled edge, but this yarn just won't behave itself. I haven't encountered such uncontrolled rolling with other yarns I've worked with--I wonder if it's the acrylic component of the TLC Cotton Plus that makes it roll so much. I hope to have good news and a lovely FO to post sometime in the next couple of weeks. (The "deadline" for this sweater is the end of March for T's first birthday.)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin Joy said...

What a great idea to make kiddie washclothes that way. :)

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! Kelley, you frogged it again!?! How frustrating for you. I hope you get it just the way you want it this time!

12:08 PM  
Blogger hakucho said...

Very pretty :) Love the colors and I bet the cotton tots makes for a very soft cloth! A real workhorse of a cloth just the same. :)

happy knitting :)

7:43 AM  
Blogger picperfic said...

what a good idea about the washcloths for a baby...I will make a few of these for my daughter, she's expecting her third baby later this year. Thanks for including the pattern link too! I would frog the sock and knit it on tighter needles...I bet you'll get hooked! I did but it wears off and you have to knit something different. Marianne

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home