Monday, August 21, 2006

The Beginning . . .

It feels kind of weird putting myself out there for everyone to see, but here goes. I decided to start a blog as an outlet for my creative ideas. Instead of boring the pants off my friends and family with my endless whirr of ideas for knitting, crochet, and sewing projects, I can now post them in my blog.

My latest obsession is knitting wool diaper soakers for my five-month-old son (who is cloth-diapered). I've completed three so far, and I'm really impressed with how well they work. His diapers are often soaked, but the wool holds the wetness in. Who knew? Sometimes the old-fashioned way really is the best! But I'm now out of wool yarn, so I'm waiting for my birthday, hoping someone will give me some yarn so I can play again. (Yes, I have yarn on my wish list . . . ).

In the meantime, I'm trying to come up with ways to use up some of my stash of acrylic yarn. After all, I have to knit something! I thought it would be cool to do some things for charity. I found a charity called Project Snuggles, which provides handmade blankets (snuggles) to animal shelters. Very cool idea! I made one snuggle (a 14" x 14" square of garter stitch). Booooring! I think if I want to make any more snuggles, I'll use that plain old square to practice some new stitches. So I can hone my knitting skills and help a poor, scared, lonely, abandoned doggy or kitty feel a little more comfy and safe and warm at the same time! I also thought it might be fun to make some simple rectangle sweaters. I'm making one now out of really gaudy colors--sort of a color-block effect. Maybe I can find a children's charity that needs sweaters.

Anyway, welcome to my rambling journal--a chronicle of my attempts at handicraft. Now, I'm off to see if I can figure out how to post some pictures on here . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home